Supplementing your 403(b) with a ROTH IRA

Ministers’ primary retirement plan should be a denominational plan or a clergy-specific 403(b)(9) like the Clergy Advantage 403(b).

To supplement your retirement account after you’ve maxed out your 403(b) you may want to consider using a Roth IRA.  This is often the first choice most secular financial advisers recommend because they are not familiar with the benefits of a clergy-specific 403(b). To learn more about where to start, see our “Retirement for Ministry Professionals” video. To learn more go to the plan sponsor’s website at There you’ll find the plan summary and other useful documents.

7 Great Benefits of a Roth IRA

  1. The earnings of a Roth are never taxable, if you adhere to the requirements. Regardless of the growth, the earnings and the withdrawals are always tax-free if you follow the requirements!
  2. Unlike regular IRA’s, there are no required minimum distributions from Roth IRA accounts after age 70 ½. You never have to take money out.
  3. If you leave a Roth IRA to your heirs, they don’t pay tax on it either, which is totally the opposite of a regular IRA.
  4. The contributions can be withdrawn at any time, tax-free-even before age 59 ½. No other retirement account allows that!
  5. You can contribute at any age, as long as you or your spouse has work income. As a result, Roth IRAs can be a great choice for working people even beyond age 70.
  6. You can make contributions for a given year as late as April 15 of the following year.
  7. Even though there are income limits beyond which you are not allowed to contribute to a Roth IRA, there are indirect ways that many high-income taxpayers can use to contribute to a Roth just as effectively.

Personal, Specialized & Reliable

Clergy Advantage can help you set up and open your ROTH IRA and your Clergy 403(b).

Coaching and financial planning for ministers’ retirement is a very specialized field. Get the best and most complete information with a clergy retirement specialist.


Ask an Expert

Get the Facts or Ask your Housing Allowance Questions